Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chilean Wines Are Improving

Reaching new heights: Chilean wine is fast improving thanks to the wine makers of the Maipo Valley

Warming To Chilean Wine -- The Telegraph

A group of buccaneers is quietly revolutionising wine in the Andes.
There is a noisy Canadian in my kitchen. “OK,” says the noisy Canadian, (who now lives in Chile) whose name is Derek Mossman Knapp. “It’s my turn to rant. Artisanal – something that’s made by hand without technology – has been a derogatory word for too long in Chile.”

But he is drowned out by a mêlée of exclamations from me and two other tasters.

“This is a beautifully bright syrah,” says one. “I love this carignan,” says another.

“Derek,” I say. “I hope you won’t take this the wrong way. What I like about some of these wines is that they don’t taste obviously Chilean. I’m afraid I see that as a compliment.”

Read more ....

My Comment: I agree that for the price (cheap) they are OK. But it will take a bit longer before good quality reds come into play. Having said that, there are though some great higher end wines with my favorite coming from the following wineries .... Vinedo Chadwick Errazuriz, Montes Alpha Santa Cruz, and Don Melchor.

No comments:

Post a Comment